Lightweight, high density, ceramic type inorganic fireproofing, formulated with corrosion inhibitor
MONOKOTE® Z-146PC has been developed by GCP Applied Technologies as a superior product to protect steel and concrete meeting the harshest conditions found in petrochemical processing, refining facilities, LNG facilities, nuclear and conventional power plants, etc.
MonokoteZ-146PC is a bauxite ceramic fireproofing based on hydraulic binders formulated with a strong patented corrosion inhibitor (DCI®) requiring only the addition of water to form a consistent slurry easy to apply. Weighing about 65%-75% less than standard concrete, it can be applied in one or multiple layers up to the desired fire rating.
MonokoteZ-146PC is supported by GCP Applied Technologies with over 60 years experience in the fireproofing business and with many worldwide references available upon request.
Features & Benefits
- Tested in accordance with:
- Hydrocarbon pool fire up to 4 hours as per:
- UL 1709 / ASTM E-1529
- Lloyd’s Register of shipping for offshore structures
- BS 476 Part 20 Appendix D
- Norwegian Petroleum Directorate
- EN 1993-1-2: 2005
- UL investigated for exterior exposure under freeze/thaw cycles, salt spray, accelerated aging, high humidity and polluted industrial atmosphere
- HSE OTI 95634 jet fire up to 2 hours
- Baker blast explosion test
- NFPA 58 fire and hose stream for LPG tanks
- LNG immersion test for cryogenic spillage
- Durability - Monokote Z-146PC sets and dries to a hard ceramic type coating offering very good resistance against physical impacts occurring during routine operations and maintenance at the facility. Monokote Z-146PC has been tested for bond strength, compressive strength, hardness and other properties in accordance with API RP 2218 and ASTM in-place performance standards.
- Application versatility - Monokote Z-146PC can be mixed in standard plaster mixers. After mixing it may be spray-applied with commonly available pumping and spraying equipment for high speed efficient application. Monokote Z-146 PC can also be applied with trowels or poured into wood formworks.
- Economical - Monokote Z-146PC offers the most economical fire resistance by reducing labor time both in interior as well as in exterior corrosive environments, such as those defined by ISO 12944-2.
- Other key advantages - Application by qualified companies, extensive track records, superior bond and mechanical properties, very low thermal conductivity, up to 1 in. (25 mm) per coat, high yield rates, worldwide technical assistance and product availability, non flammable and non combustible, asbestos free, chloride and sulfide free, no contribution to smoke generation during a fire.
Conditions not Recommended
- Operating temperatures in excess of 93°C
- Use over aluminum or other non-ferrous substrates
- Use as a refractory material
- Primers - Monokote Z-146PC has been formulated with a patented corrosion inhibitor (DCI) that has shown to retard the rate of corrosion due to chlorides and other aggressive environmental conditions. However Monokote Z-146PC shall not be used as an anticorrosive material, thus we always recommend the use of an alkaline resistant, immersion grade, epoxy anticorrosive paint (or system) compatible with Portland cement.
- Topcoats - Generally not required, however in corrosive environments a compatible topcoat should be used to extend the life expectancy of the entire system. Contact GCP Technical Service for further recommendations.
Prior to the application of Monokote Z-146PC, an inspection shall be made to determine that all substrates are acceptable to receive fireproofing. Substrates shall be free from any substance that would impair the adhesion of the fireproofing and shall be compatible with Portland cement materials.
It is recommended that all substrates protected by fireproofing be routinely inspected as part of an ongoing facilities maintenance program. GCP should be consulted for proper patching procedures.
Monokote Z-146PC shall be mixed by machine in a conventional paddle type mixer. The mixer shall be kept clean and free of all previously mixed material. The mixer speed shall be adjusted to the lowest speed which gives adequate blending of the material and a mixer density of 835 - 945 kg/m3.
Using a suitable metering device and mixer, approximately 15 liters of potable water per bag shall be first added to the mixer as the blades turn. Add Monokote Z-146PC and mix about 90-120 seconds until the mix is lump-free with a creamy texture. Over-mixing will reduce pumping rate and density.
For more details consult our Petrochemical Application Guidelines.
|Physical Properties||Recommended Specifications||Test Method/Notes**||Laboratory Tested Value*|
|Dry density||Min 640 kg/m3||ASTM E605||See note below***|
|Bond strength||Min 4,9 kg/cm2 (0,49MPa)||ASTM E736||8,8 kg/cm2 (0,88 MPa)|
Compressive strength @ 10%
|35,2 kg/cm2 (3,45 MPa)||ASTM E761||60.8 psi (413.6 KPa)|
|Shore D hardness||40||ASTM D2240||49|
|Yield (coverage)||-||Theoretical||6,6 kg/m2 at 10 mm|
VOC (off gassing) at 50 °C
|Less than 1 PPMW (part per million by weight)||Dynamic headspace (Thermal
Desorption Gas Chromatography –
|Less than 1 PPMW
(below detectable limits)
|Leachable ammonia||Less than 50 PPB– 50 ng/mg||Leachable ion by
|Less than 50 PPB
(below detectable limits)
|Thermal conducitivity||UNI EN 12667:2002||
0,14 W/mK at 20 °C
|Thermal conductivity||UL 1709||0,17 W/mK at 565 °C|
|Thermal conductivity||UL 1709||0,28 W/mK at 889 °C|
* Independent laboratory tested value. Report available upon request.
** ASTM international test methods modified for bond strength and compressive strength, where required, for high density, high performance products
*** All in-place performance tests should be conducted at or below the minimum recommended specification density. Test reports here were conducted at 635 kg/m3.
Monokote Z-146PC material shall not be used if it contains partially set, frozen or caked material.
Monokote Z-146PC shall have a minimum average dry in-place density of 640 kg/m3.
Monokote Z-146PC can be sprayed directly to lathed steel substrates in one or more passes. A spray gun with a properly sized orifice with spray shield, and air pressure at the nozzle of approximately 20 psi (1,4 bar) will provide the correct adhesion, density and appearance.Temperature
An air and substrate temperature of 41°F (5°C) minimum shall be maintained for 24 hours prior to application, during application and for a minimum of 72 hours after application. To obtain optimal strength, Monokote Z-146PC should be moist cured for a minimum of 72 hours and then be allowed to dry naturally.
Delivery & Storage
All material to be used for fireproofing shall be delivered in original unopened packages bearing the name of the manufacturer, the brand and proper UL labels for fire resistance classifications. The material shall be kept dry until ready for use. Packages of material shall be kept off the ground, under cover and away from sweating walls and damp surfaces. All material that has been exposed to water before use shall be discarded. Stock of material is to be rotated and used before its expiration date.
Monokote Z-146PC is slippery when wet. Proper signs should be used when applying wet fireproofing material. SDS (Safety Data Sheet) are available on our web site www.gcpat.com or call toll free at 866-333-3SBM.
Bag weight is 50 lbs. (22,2 Kg). Truckload approximately 880-900 bags in 20” containers 42 or 48 bags per pallet plastic wrapped.
gcpat.my | For technical information: firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope the information here will be helpful. It is based on data and knowledge considered to be true and accurate, and is offered for consideration, investigation and verification by the user, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statements, recommendations, and suggestions in conjunction with our conditions of sale, which apply to all goods supplied by us. No statement, recommendation, or suggestion is intended for any use that would infringe any patent, copyright, or other third party right.
Monokote and DCI are trademarks, which may be registered in the United States and/or other countries, of GCP Applied Technologies Inc. This trademark list has been compiled using available published information as of the publication date and may not accurately reflect current trademark ownership or status.
© Copyright 2017 GCP Applied Technologies Inc. All rights reserved.
GCP Applied Technologies Inc., 2325 Lakeview Parkway, Alpharetta, GA 30009, USA
GCP Applied Technologies (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd, 7 Lorong CJ 1/1A, Off Jalan Balakong, 43200 Cheras Jaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
This document is only current as of the last updated date stated below and is valid only for use in Malaysia. It is important that you always refer to the currently available information at the URL below to provide the most current product information at the time of use. Additional literature such as Contractor Manuals, Technical Bulletins, Detail Drawings and detailing recommendations and other relevant documents are also available on www.gcpat.my. Information found on other websites must not be relied upon, as they may not be up-to-date or applicable to the conditions in your location and we do not accept any responsibility for their content. If there are any conflicts or if you need more information, please contact GCP Customer Service.
Last Updated: 2022-11-24